Saturday, June 17, 2006

A Flag Of Racial Pride?

The Grauniad has a comment piece today, written by those most rare of creatures, a female, black England fan. Her experiences are, well, not too surprising:

"Born and brought up here, I've always considered myself black British, while remaining proud of my Jamaican heritage. But I found myself having to justify my right to be among the fans who flocked to an outdoor screening of England's opening World Cup match.
Joining the throng at Canary Wharf in London's Docklands, I was greeted by a group of young, white males in England shirts, draped in Saint George's flags, their faces painted red and white. "What are you doing here?" one of them demanded. Thrown, I replied: "I'm here to watch the football. What are you doing here?" "I've got a right to be here. I'm English," he said. "You're not."


Read the rest

Powered by Blogger