Monday, March 13, 2006

Jimmy Johnstone (30th September 1944 - 13th March 2006)

Just a little word on the death of this man.

Celtic fans, more than any other fans I think, tend to be in love with the history of their club. I'm no different.

So even though I never seen him play in the flesh, I felt like I had witnessed every single Jimmy Johnstone game. From clips and anecdotes, you can tell he was a special player - and a special man.

He died yesterday, after fighting a long battle with motor neurone disease.

Jimmy played in the days before footballers became mercenaries, moving from club to club in search of money and fame. Jimmy was a 'Celtic man', in the best sense of that phrase. Committed, on and off the park, he exemplified everything that is great about Glasgow Celtic as a Scottish cultural institution.

And he was a hell of a winger.

Cheers Jinky!

Powered by Blogger